Friday, April 24, 2009

Creating a Customer Experience

Recently I went into an Apple store and bought a MacBook. In my opinion, Apple does it right. They have created a customer experience that is positive, engaging, fun, and painless. The sales staff was knowledgeable and patient. I've been a PC user and was concerned about the learning curve transitioning to a Mac and the compatibility of sending files to PC users. They answered all of my questions and mentioned one on one training that I could take to shorten the learning curve. After completing the sales transaction, the rep helped me complete the rebate online! Within a week I had a $100 rebate check in hand. Incredible! I have never 1) gotten a rebate check that quickly and 2) had a major purchase handled so quickly and efficiently.

When I got home I took the MacBook out of the box and within minutes I was connected to our wireless network and was up and running. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. The packaging of the MacBook was very impressive, as well. Apple seems to have thought through all the details of the customer experience.

It’s no wonder that Apple posted a 15% increase during Q1 2009, in spite of the recession. Yes, I realize the growth was primarily in IPhones and IPods and that the computer sold dropped slightly year over year, but, the fact remains that Apple seems to "get it" when it comes to creating a customer experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment